Gambia Holiday Forums

Last week I was looking for a flight to the Gambia and came to the Trip advisor Gambia Forum. Having read some of the posts and the solutions to travel enquiries, I thought I might join and while handing out some top tips for travelling in Africa, with all age groups, I could promote the Gambian Businesses I have found useful. I added to a couple of posts seeking opinions on Cape Point or Banjul, where to eat and whether one could risk travelling to West Africa without the suggested jabs. Then, up came a question about travelling with a 18 month old child.

Having been brought up by the Unilever Guide to bringing up children in the tropics, I offered as much info as I could, adding some useful business contacts such as a taxi with seatbelts which might accommodate the car seat they were taking.The Post was promptly removed, as it was considered to be commercial spam by the moderator.

I had a few private mails from members who had seen the original post, asking me to join an off topic forum so I presume the info must have been useful. I do think that such forums are used by people who have an interest and who want to give info to others, just as you might if you met them in a queue for check in. So if you cannot give out your personal experience, the name of a useful website or a particular local tour guide or legal advice or restaurant what use is the forum? What a forum for the Gambia should tell you is how other people got off the hotel beach to see something of the real Gambia.

No comments: